Monday, August 11, 2014

Favorite Book


         Cicero once quoted “A room without books is like a body without a soul”. Books are a way to make your mind wander off to a place where your imagination takes over. At a young age, I developed a passion for reading books and to analyze and see the different styles of writing authors have. It was extremely hard for me to pick my favorite book because of the variety of books I have read and loved. Recently, I read Cassandra Clare’s series The Mortal Instruments and the first book of the series City of Bones has become my favorite book. The author has a style of writing that makes the reader live through the characters and feel their emotion. The description of the various settings in the story makes your imagination wander and create the same vision that was described in the book; the various creatures and non-human characters are brought to life.  The book is filled with demons, shadow hunters, warlocks, vampires, werewolves, and other deadly creatures.
             The main character in the story, Clary, is just an average teenage girl who has a normal life until she finds out her father is from another dimension. He is the one who created this world and wants to take over the Earth. Clary’s mother ran away from him because of his scheming ways and what he has planned. The father sends demons to Earth in search for the mother and captures her. Clary finds out she is the descendent of shadow hunters and goes on a search for her mother.
            I chose this story as my favorite because it teaches the importance of a mother and the connection to her child. A mother will protect her child through all obstacles of life. In this book, this concept worked both ways. Clary’s mother protected her daughter from the demon world, but once the mother was in danger, the daughter did anything she could to get her back. The book taught me that no matter what situation I am in, I should always protect, care for, and love my mother.



18 comments:

  1. I have actually read this series as well, and I must say that I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning with my nose crammed into the pages of this book. I love what you chose to extrapolate from this story- the strength of the bond between a mother and daughter, as well as the importance of unremitting loyalty between them. It is very convenient that you provided a concise summary of the plot, so that people who have not read the book will still be able to understand your post. The overall post was descriptive and explanatory; in other words, I liked it! Keep on reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opening to the post is very creative. The Mortal Instruments book is definitely one of my favorite books to read. The theme of the book can also be very relatable to mother and daughter relationships and that is what makes the book more emotional. The book gives you a strong bond between a paranormal mother-daughter relationship which is somewhat relatable to a regular mother-daughter relationship as to how protective mothers can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have never heard of this series, your post makes me want to go purchase it. Your blog was very insightful, and I especially enjoyed the part where you spoke about what the book taught you, and that no matter what, you should always protect your mother. The mother-daughter relationship is one of the most strongest bonds a person can have, and your post stressed that important point well. I also enjoyed how you emphasized that the authors descriptive writing technique made the characters in the book feel more alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your first two sentences greatly, as they allow the reader to look at books in a way other than as "just a book". Not having read this myself, your post, along with the summarized description of the plot, allowed me to consider that each book, no matter how familiar or not, has a story beyond the cover. I also enjoyed the fact that you have one specific reason/connection for choosing this book (besides the fact that it is adeptly written), rather than a collection of many, as that does not often occur.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your overview of City of Bones gives an incomparable preview of the plot, themes, and characters without many spoilers. I would personally consider reading the The Mortal Instruments series after viewing this post. The fact that you mentioned the protagonist was a teenager makes the book appeal to an audience of our age group. Within your summary I see not only a mother to child relationship theme, but also a conflict between two parents which could affect the protagonist. Excellent work young one, the gods are pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the opening line of your blog to the closing line you had my complete attention. The way you started the post was attention grabbing and it made me want to read more. Reading your blog I realized that the story was not only about creatures from another dimension, but about the relationships we form with others. I have seen the movie for this book, but after reading what you had to say I want to read the book and connect to the characters the way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Talar hopefully you will get a chance to read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you described the way the author’s writing style lets you live in the story. The summary of the book is helpful to quickly understand the plot and the rest of your review. You displayed the importance of the mother-daughter bond in The Mortal Instruments and in real life and made it relatable. Your review made the book seem more appealing to me than the movie did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never read or even heard of the book City of Bones, although after reading this summary I am intrigued to find out how the book ends. You did an outstanding job in introducing the subject and capturing the reader's attention. Considering the fact that I had no background on this book, you provided the right amount of information, which helped me understand the plot of this story. From the beginning of the summary until the end you had my full attention. Hopefully I will have a chance to read The Mortal Instruments during my spare time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany! Hope you can read it and like the book:)

      Delete
  10. I've liked the way you've started your thoughts with a perfect quote and made the introduction just flow. The main character, Claire, is perfectly described and your analysis is nicely written. I now have a main idea of the book and got to know you a bit better from your writing. Well done, Angelica.

    ReplyDelete